Monday, March 12, 2007

Around LA: Virginia Woolf, Long Beach, Disneyland, and LACMA Movie Series

My latest ExperienceLA adventures have been seeing new things in favorite LA places.

Wednesday night I hobbled (I'm still hobbling from my previous ExperienceLA Adventure: LA Marathon) with my friends Bill and Nick to the Ahmanson Theatre for Center Theatre Group's current show Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? featuring Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin. It was nice seeing a traditional play for the first time in a long while and this production was particularly superb given the characterization of actors Turner and Irwin.

Friday night I went to a birthday gathering at the Mai Tai Bar in Long Beach. A quaint, easy-going atmosphere, the Mai Tai Bar is located at the Pike in Long Beach, near the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Rainbow Harbor. It's a great place to meet up with friends and listen to a live band. Plenty of large flat screen TVs are available to watch any number of sporting events.

ToonLand - DisneylandSaturday I spent the day in Disneyland with my friends Jessie, Jason, and Jay. We ate at Cafe Orleans and enjoyed the rides in Tomorrowland. The recently remodeled Space Mountain currently features a rock music theme with the music of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. A nice surprise was being able to run into my friend Andy who was working at the park that day.

I followed up my whirlwind day at Disneyland with a nice evening out at LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) with my friend Adam. The museum is currently featuring films in a their Fifty Years of Janus Films series. Adam and I caught a screening of the Akira Kurosawa classic Rashômon.

-Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? runs until March 18th at the Ahmanson Theatre
-Red Hot Chili Peppers rocks Disneyland's Space Mountain (and California Adventure's Rockin' California Screamin') until April 26 2007.
-LACMA's Fifty Years of Janus Films runs Friday and Saturday evenings until April 7th. Visit ExperienceLA for specific dates/times/shows.


-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Web Coordinator

No comments: