Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Avenue Q in LA!

Avenue Q signOne of my favorite musicals is in town - Avenue Q! I had the lovely opportunity to see this hilarious musical again at its opening on September 7th. There's so many great things about this show, I'm not sure where to start...

I had first seen this show in Las Vegas two years ago, when it had a long run at the Wynn. My friends were familiar with the soundtrack, but I hadn't heard much of the musical except for one key track: "What Do You Do With A B.A. in English?" As a degree-holder of a B.A. in English, it's a song that's near and dear to my heart.

Fast forward two years later, having already seen the show, and having memorized all the songs - of course I jumped at the opportunity to see it again in Los Angeles. Appropriately, I asked my friend Trevor to accompany me - a fellow holder of a B.A. in English.

Avenue Q can be succinctly described as "Sesame Street for Adults". Although there are cute puppets and monsters, it's not another day in Sesame Street. The musical touches on topics relevant to life after college, sexuality, and politically incorrect commentary.

But while a lot of Avenue Q is fun for fun sake, at the heart of the musical is a story that any adult can relate to - trying to find one self and making decisions and racking up mistakes along the way. Perhaps what adds to the humor of the show is that most - if not all - the audience has walked along (or is still walking on) their own Avenue Q, looking for their own sense of purpose and trying not to listen to the "Bad Idea Bears" that so often lead us astray with their "good idea at the time" logic.

Avenue Q doesn't prescribe to giving anyone definite answers to what purpose means, but it really does provide the opportunity to laugh at the journey to find it. Goodness knows, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with a B.A. in English!

Avenue Q is presented by Center Theatre Group and runs at the Ahmanson Theatre until October 14th.

-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Web Coordinator

No comments: