Thursday, September 20, 2007

Justin Timberlake at the Staples Center

Justin TimberlakeLast night the Staples Center hosted the last date of Justin Timberlake's North American FutureSex/LoveShow Tour. Mr. Timberlake's been rocking the Staples Center since Sunday (so the girl sitting in front of me confirmed). To say that the man is talented would be understating it. His performance at the Staples Center is a reflection on how this artist has catapulted his way out of boy band non-obscurity - through sheer talent and great music collaborations. I had a good vantage point for saying this show was amazing. My friend Jay and I were sitting in the back....waaaaaay in the back.

The show opened at 8:00 with Good Charlotte and the Justin Timberlake concert itself didn't start until after 9. Nonetheless, the show was well worth the wait - opening up with fog and an incredible use of lights and great stage design. The last time I was at the Staples Center was for a Lakers game...oh, how a basketball arena can be transformed.

There's a good advantage to sitting in the back row of the Staples Center for a concert of this caliber. You get to see the entire stage design and Justin Timberlake running around most parts of the stage. I'd say that I'm being optimistic and positive about my concert experience, and while, yes I am, it's true.


I had twenty-dollar seats in literally the back row of the Staples Center, but it didn't take away from a great show. You don't need to be up close and personal to see that Justin Timberlake's a great dancer and singer, and that he can play the guitar, the keytar, the piano, and beatbox. Nor do you need to be that close to sing along to favorite songs with all the other people in the filled seats with you.

Ultimately the FutureSex/LoveShow has the nuances of a big party: great music, dancing, a D.J. at intermission - even Timbaland making his appropriate appearances. And really, who wouldn't want to party with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland?

Would I have wanted tickets in the front row by the stage? Sure! But I'll close on what Jay and I high-fived during the concert, before catching the Metro Red Line home: "Best twenty-seven dollars ever."

-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Web Coordinator

No comments: