Thursday, September 17, 2009

The fair brings out the "kid" in me


There are so many things about the fall season that make me happy and bring feelings of nostalgia: back to school, football season, and especially the County Fair. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of the fair. As I've grown, that feeling of anticipation for the fair has not left me.

With all of our planning for our County Fair Photo Contest (read about it here), I was getting antsy to go. Admittedly, last Saturday was my first time to the LA County Fair since I moved out here 5 1/2 years ago. I woke up that morning with a wide grin on my face, and the same thoughts I have when I go to any fair. I want to ride my favorite rides. I want to play all of the games. I want to eat everything.

My husband asked me what it was about the LA County Fair that had me so excited. Why was this fair so different from any other fair? If you've been to one, haven't you been to them all? It's true to a certain extent. All the rides, attractions and food offerings are practically the same. But each fair has something different to offer as well. For instance, I couldn't wait to go to Bark Park, a designated space with dog competitions showcased at the LA County Fair. That was something I've never seen before. Similarly, the Jurassic exhibit, while I've seen other similar exhibits at museums and zoos, I'd never seen one at a fair.

Quite honestly, though, it's not what makes the LA County Fair different that gets me excited. It's the feeling I get when I go to a fair. It brings out the "kid" in me. I still get wide-eyed walking through some of those animal exhibits, and look forward to seeing the baby animals. I love riding those old, rickety rides. I have so much fun playing those silly games thinking I'll win a prize (even though I know some of those are rigged). Sometimes I actually do win something. And of course, there's the food (thanks to some of our Facebook Fans for the food recommendations). It all makes for a good ol' fun time.


-Julie

No comments: