Friday, April 27, 2012

Elizabeth Cook and Sara Watkins Get Early Set Times at 2012 Stagecoach

DSC_2214 With the release of the  2012 Stagecoach set times, those lucky ones with tickets can begin to plan their time for the 3 day Country festival that sold out for the first time in its six year history. As those who have caught my ExperienceLA Stagecoach blog posts in prior years, you will know that I am a big fan of women alt-country stars.  Thus, high on my list of musicians to see are Elizabeth Cook and Sara Watkins.  Last December I saw Elizabeth Cook at the Mint and I have seen Sara Watkins perform both as a solo artist and with Nickel Creek who played at Stagecoach back in 2007.  Both artists get the early 1 pm  time slots, so to see either of them means one has got to get to Stagecoach when the gates are opened. This is my picture of Elizabeth Cook that AI took at the Mint, and I look forward to getting some pictures of her and her band at Stagecoach 2012.

I became aware of Elizabeth Cook shortly after I bought my Nissan LEAF and got my free 90 days of Sirius XM satellite radio.  I came across the Outlaw Country station with Elizabeth Cook and her morning drive time Apron Strings. Elizabeth is from northern Florida and has a very strong southern accent which strongly flavors her music.  As a DJ Elizabeth is hysterical, as she talks about her family music, interests, and touring dates.  In fact, several weeks back, she was wondering if anyone would come to see her, if she was playing at the same time, as the major acts on the Mane Stage.  Well Elizabeth, you got the 1 pm slot on the Palomino Stage, so your competition at 1 pm on Sunday is Split Lip Rayfield  on the Mustang Stage   The prior night, Country fans will have been treated to Miranda Lambert who closes Saturday eventing, and thus will have to make an effort to be at Stagecoach early the next day.

I am also a fan of Miranda Lambert and my late wife, never let me forget that I choose to watch Miranda over the Knitters back at Stagecoach in 2009.  Karen went with her best friend to see John Doe and Exene Cervenka and when we reunited at the Mane Stage; Karen told me that I had missed the best performance in the entire history of Stagecoach.  In fact Exene told me the same thing when I spent time with her at a memorial service for my poet friend Scott Wannberg. Ironically, I missed Miranda's performance in 2007 Stagecoach performance, as we were eating the great BBQ that can be found at Stagecoach.  The BBQ competition is high on my list to sample my way through the various contestants.  Anyway here is a picture of Miranda Lambert that I took back in 2009. Miranda :Lambert at Stagecoach 2009

Other women Country artists on the giant Mane Stage are Sara Evans at 6:30 pm on Friday night, Sunny Sweeney at 4:00pm on Saturday, and Sheryl Crow and Martina McBride back to back on Sunday night. So its now time to get going to Stagecoach 2012.

No comments: