Monday, July 12, 2010

Crazy Good: The Lieutenant of Inishmore

I took a break from Anime Expo 2010 to go see The Lieutenant of Inishmore at the Mark Taper Forum with my friend Charity. Two key words got me there: Monty Python and Chris Pine. Okay, so maybe that's four words (five if you count the "and"). I love the "let's be ridiculous and proper at the same time" humor of the British comedy troupe Monty Python, and Inishmore went above and beyond on the ridiculousness. As a Trekkie, being able to see Chris Pine (who played Kirk in the latest Star Trek film) was icing on the cake.

Getting there was part of the fun. Just two stops on the Red Line from 7th Street/Metro Center Station, a quick walk uphill, and we were right at the Music Center Plaza (a beautiful photo op!). The Mark Taper Forum is a small intimate theater that,  by its shape, looks like it can fit a lot of people. Add to it the unique flooring of the stage, and I felt like I was in an Escher space.

The play opened with two men staring at a fluff of fur on a table.... and staring.... and staring. We find out that this "fluff of fur" was Wee Thomas, the late best and only friend (a black cat) of Padraic. Padraic, from the hysterics of the men, we find out is a mad man who enjoys torturing people so much that he was kicked out the IRA, and is now a Lieutenant of the INLA. The whole play then unfolds into one scheme after another on if, when and how to tell Padraic the news. Add to that other plots from characters who want revenge or love or both, and things get crazier by the minute. I'd say more, but I don't want to spoil the fun. I can say that the end is "bloody brilliant", and an unexpected "actor" surprised even me.

The play, which is in two acts, is short, sweet and wraps up all loose ends. I recommend keeping an open mind to all things politically incorrect when enjoying this mad, mad show.

-Tiina

No comments: