Friday, March 01, 2013

Stay Home and Read Today!

I know what you're thinking: "Wait?  You're telling me to stay home? Experience LA is telling me to just stay home?"  But that's the name of a great fundraising event today for the Library Foundation of Los Angeles called The Stay Home and Read A Book Ball, and you don't actually need to stay home to participate.  

This fundraising event, in its 25th year, values one of the best ways to support the library - take some time out of your day to read.  You can tell your friends you're going via Facebook and show your support by paying for your "ticket" to the ball by making a donation (Click on the "Give Now" button at the top right-hand side).  No fancy dress-up and no carriage necessary (unless you want to) - just have a good book on hand to enjoy a little reading time.  Proceeds to this fundraiser support the Los Angeles Public Library and its cultural and educational programs, including the [ALOUD] series!

(See what we did there?  It all comes back to experiencing LA!)

I, for one, am a big advocate of reading everywhere and anywhere.  My "Stay Home and Read A Book Ball" plan will actually involve a "carriage" ride - a 45-minute ride on the Expo Line.  I'm going to let myself leave the serious reading at home and enjoy Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I saw the movie recently and, in addition to enjoying the book, I am "having a ball" comparing the book to the film adaptation.

I'm glad this event helps me recognize one of my favorite things about being a frequent transit rider: it gives me the time to lose myself in a good book.  So if you're heading out tonight instead of staying home and going Metro to get there, I recommend a little reading for your transit ride!  Just make sure not to miss your stop!

Happy Reading!

-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Editor

No comments: