Monday, May 03, 2010

Getty Center Outing: Outdoor Photos and Experiencing da Vinci and Illuminated Manuscripts

Saturday was the perfect Los Angeles outdoor day - sunshine, breezy.  I had a little work I needed to get done on my laptop, but I also wanted to take in the Leonard da Vinci exhibition currently at the Getty Center.  So naturally, I just put the two activities together and hopped on the Metro Rapid 761 for its stop right in front of the Getty Center.

After a few hours reading documents (I won't bore you with those details) with the beautiful landscape views as my backdrop and tackling the wind, I roamed around to some of the Getty's current exhibitions: Leonardo da Vinci and the Art of Sculpture: Inspiration and Invention and Building the Medieval World: Architecture in Illuminated Manuscripts.

The da Vinci exhibition married together artist sketches, imposing statues, and da Vinci's influence on other artists of his time.  While I was aware of da Vinci's popularity and influence during his own lifetime, I had no idea the extent of it and the specific artistic examples the exhibition provided.

I'm a huge fan of the Medieval World, particularly the intricate detail of illuminated manuscripts.  So it was a joy to see the various volumes that were on display and read about the history of each page.  It never ceases to amaze me how much fine detail can be shown on a tiny illuminated page.

While I couldn't take photos of the above, I was able to get some lovely outdoor views  of the Getty, which I'll share below.  Task Item #3 on my list for the day was also testing out my new point-and-shoot camera!




The Leonard da Vinci Exhibition runs until June 20th.  Building the Medieval World: Architecture in Illuminated Manuscripts runs until May 16th.

-Charity Tran

No comments: