Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This Weekend: Rasputina at the Troubadour

Given my penchant for chamber music and my eclectic music tastes in general, this cello-driven alternative music trio is definitely up my alley...

But my eclectic music tastes and love of chamber music is only part of why I'll probably be enjoying the show on Sunday (that and I'll be hanging out with an old friend and isn't a music a great experience for bringing people together?). I personally love the creativity involved in bringing instruments traditionally of one music form into another where people don't expect it to exist. Even when I do expect this marriage of cross-genre, I still get that lovely feeling of surprise. Listening to Rasputina's (lead by band's creator cellist/lead singer Melora Creager) music feels pretty much like that - a lovely feeling of surprise.

I'm really jazzed to see the performance in person because Rasputina also dresses up in Victorian costume. A cello-driven alternative band performing in Victorian clothing? You can't see that just any day out of the week.

Rasputina performs at the Troubadour in West Hollywood on Sunday, March 29th. More Information at ExperienceLA.com.

-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Web Coordinator

No comments: