Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hollywood: Day and Night

Featuring: and


My most recent outings have been to Hollywood - primarily the Hollywood/Vine Metro Stop area (See Getting Around Hollywood at ExperienceLA.com).

On Saturday (July 15), I grabbed a quick lunch at Sharky's on North Cahuenga before heading out down Hollywood Blvd. While strolling down one of Los Angeles' most famous boulevards, I noticed that the Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions (LACE) was opened with their current exhibitions:
"Draw a Line and Follow It" and "When Hangover Becomes Form" . It was an interesting contemporary exhibition with really neat figures and abstract shapes to contemplate about. Below are some pictures from my visit:




I then continued my stroll down Hollywood Blvd where I perused a few old bookstores and the great movie books and poster shops that are in the area. No stop in the area is complete without a trip to Amoeba Music on Sunset Blvd - one of the best places to get music and movies at great prices - and I finished the afternoon with some rest from all my walking at Borders on Sunset and Vine.

On Tuesday evening (July 18), I had a spectacular time in the same area at the opening night of Rent. The Pantages Theatre is very conveniently located across the street from the Hollywood/Vine Metro Stop. My friend Jay and I picked up our tickets at Will Call and decided on dinner at Sharky's since he had never been there. We had plenty of time to walk back and get seated for Rent which we both thought was great.

I had previously only seen the show when it had come out as movie a year ago. As per usual, the stage production version was definitely better than the film (though I did like the film). The show was full of energy and the actors were great, it was definitely a show worth seeing. The audience definitely contributed to the energy of the show - many were obviously huge fans. I hear tickets are hard to come by, but no questions asked, I'd recommend seeing this show.

We got out of the show after 10:30, but since the Red Line runs until midnight we had plenty of time to walk down Hollywood Blvd. for a bit before returning for a drink at the chill and cozy Frolic Room next to the Pantages to end the evening.

All-in-all I love the Hollywood area. There's always something to do no matter what time of day it is.

Next scheduled adventure: Curtains at the Ahmanson Theatre at the Music Center!

-Charity Tran, ExperienceLA Web Coordinator

No comments: